The Northern Technical College
P.O. Box 250093
Northern Technical College (popularly known as NORTEC) is situated in the Kansenshi area of Ndola. It has two separate campuses. The main campus which houses administrative offices, Training Departments, Library, Recreation and Dinning Hall and four Hostels are in Chela Road (off kwacha Road). The other campus comprising four hostels and sports fields is situated between kwacha and feira Roads.
Northern Technical College (NORTEC) was established as an Engineering Skills Training Institution by a private charity in 1959. It was initially administered by a Board of Governors, the Commission of Technical Education and Vocation Training, the Department of Technical Education and Vocation Training, in that order and now by a Management Board as provided for by the TEVET Act No. 13 of 1998. The Board is appointed by the Minister of Science Technology and Vocational Training (MSTVT). Training delivery for the courses has ranged from Apprenticeship, Block release to Full – Time.
The College seeks to achieve the following aims, as derived from the TEVET Act:
1. To act as a vehicle for improved skills, productivity and income generation,
2. To be an instrument for minimization of inequalities among people,
3. To balance the supply of skilled labour at all levels with the demand of the national economy.
The college operates as a devolved/semi-autonomous institution with a mandate to:
1. To broker transferable knowledge, skills, attitudes and values pertaining to engineering and business practice.
2. To hire out Technical / Management expertise and or specialized facilities.
NORTEC provides high quality Technical Education, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Training (TEVET) at certificate, diploma and higher levels; effectively and efficiently, to continuously meet training needs of the clients in collaboration with stakeholder.
NORTEC is recognized by clients and stake holders as the leader in the provision of Technical Education, Vocational and Entrepreneurship Training (TEVET)
Our Core Values
The following values are core to all decisions and actions we take:
- Innovation: We promote the exploration of new ideas and principle
- Excellence: We endure to provide quality teaching and learning
- Efficiency: We encourage continuous professional and institutional improvement
- Integrity: We are guided by the fundamental principles of honesty, responsibility, reliability and equity in all our endeavours
Zambia is a developing country, which requires a critical mass of qualified personnel and job creators. The college continues to produce graduate Technologists, Technicians and Crafts persons to keep pace with labour demands for both the formal and the informal sectors.
Northern Technical College offers courses for both the pre-service, (school leavers) and the in-service, for both the formal and the informal sectors. The courses offered range from short courses, which are packaged and certified by the college, to Full Time courses which are certified by the Examination Council of Zambia and international
Examining bodies. The college has produced several graduates, some of whom now hold responsible positions in reputable companies locally and abroad while others have successfully established their own businesses.