Provident House, 6th Floor,
New Wing, Cairo Road
P O Box G 59
Cell: +260 955 226307
+260 971 585674
+260 977 201148
Telefax: +260 211 226307
City University College of Science and Technology (CUST) was established in 2008 by a group of committed and experienced individuals who are both entrepreneurs and business management professionals. Their expertise is drawn from diverse fields such as science and technology, business management and marketing as well as from the medical field.
CUST was registered with the ministry of education in 2008. The university is currently offering courses in the school of education and the school of business studies. CUST also underwrites qualifications for various affiliate colleges.
From June/July 2012 CUST is introducing programmes in the school of health sciences, offering diplomas in clinical medicine (Clinical Officer General), diploma in registered nursing as well as diploma studies in other fields such as environmental health sciences and public health. The training programmes are aimed at supplementing Government efforts and empowering local communities with skills and primary professional training.
The University is also affiliated to the Health Professional Council of Zambia (HPCZ), it is finalizing its registration with the General Nursing of Zambia (GNCZ) by January 2013.
The school of health is located at Pre Cem motel along great north road, about 5 kilometeres from Lusaka town.
An MOU to work in collaboration with Chainama College of Health Sciences is underway.
The concept of CUST was born out of a desire to educate the future of our country and fill up human resource gaps especially in the fields of health, science and technology and in education.
Our mission is to provide high quality education, business mindedness; career training and equal opportunity to students from all walks of life to enable them achieve identity, personal development, diversity of thought, wealth creation and make meaningful contribution to society.
CUST’s vision is to become a leading provider of the best, high quality education in areas of business management, education and in science and technology for relevant markets.
The University aims at attaining a culture of excellence through integration with various stakeholders who include the students, society at large, professionals and the government. These corporate goals include:-
•Reputable and academic excellence;
•Producing business minded professionals;
•Producing committed and dedicated health and education professionals
•Personal development and retention of staff;
•Regards for freedom from discrimination;
•Students affairs as a prerequisite to community integration;
•Society is paramount to success.
Legal Status of CUST
CUST is registered with the Zambia Ministry of Education, with its headquarters at Provident House in Lusaka, our collaborating partners include:
• Health Professions Council of Zambia
• General Nursing Council of Zambia
• University of Zambia (School of Medicine)
• Chainama College of Health Sciences
School of Health sciences
Diploma in Clinical Medicine (Clinical Officer General) 3 years
Diploma in Registered Nursing – 3 Years
Bachelor of Nursing (2 years top up)
School Of Education
Diploma in Education ( Primary) – 3 years
Diploma in Education (Secondary) – 3 years
Post graduate in Teaching Methodology -6 months
Bachelor Education (Secondary) 4 Years
School of Business And Management
B.Sc. Banking and Finance - 2/4 Years
B.Sc. Logistics and Supply Chain Management – 2/4 years
Bachelor of Arts – Social Work – 2/4 years
Bachelor of Computer Science -2/4 years
Bachelor of Business Administration – 2/4 years. BBA with:
Human Resources, Management Accounting and Finance Marketing
Diploma in Business Administration and Marketing – 2 years
School of Technology
Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering -2 years
Diploma in Information and Communication Technology – 2 years
Certificate in Computer systems Repairs – 6 Months
School of Law
Diploma in Paralegal and Human Rights Law – 2 Years
Diploma in Security and Crime Risk Management -2 years
Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety – 2 Years
With career progression to MBA, MSc, M.Ed & MA in related study areas. Other courses in Social Sciences can be done on Part-time or Distance Learning.
Boarding / Lodge facilities are available to our students and to those from other Institutions
a) Certificate – at least 3 credits including English
b) Diploma – At least five credits including English. Those with four (4) credits can be admitted on condition that they obtain one more subject before graduation
c) Degree (BSc) – Five credits including English/or a diploma in a relevant field from a recognized institution
d) MSc – a first degree or its equivalent.
While applications are received throughout the year, there are only two intakes of January / February and June-July and applications can be downloaded below or on the CUST website.
University of Africa
New Foundland Campus
Farm Plot No.7096 Unity Road
Off Mumbwa road, Lusaka West.
Tel: +260 211 214 479
Fax: +260 211 845 469
+260 976 123 055
+260 955 796 867
+260 969 672 965
“University without Walls”
The Zambian Open University (ZAOU) is a private Open and Distance Learning (ODL) University, which was established in 2002 having been registered in November of that year under the Companies Act No. 26 of 1994 of the Laws of Zambia. ZAOU was registered with the then Ministry of Education (MOE) on 23rd December 2004, within the provisions of the University Act No. 11 of 1999 of the Laws of Zambia.
ZAOU’s first 369 students were enrolled in January, 2005, in the School of Education and the School of Social Sciences and Law. On 25th March, 2005 the University was formally launched by the late Republican President Mr Levy Patrick Mwanawasa.
The founding members of ZAOU recognised the limited number of places at the country’s only two public universities at that time and were committed to increasing access to university education through open and distance learning. They were also encouraged by the government policy that had just been put in place allowing the establishment of private universities.
To be an internationally recognised Open University providing quality education through distance learning.
Leading higher education provider using creative and innovative learning methodologies aimed at reaching diverse constituencies for promoting social and economic development
• To provide teacher education at University level to school leavers, primary, and secondary school teachers through distance learning using print and electronic media.
• To meet the increased demand for professional education in the fields of law and development studies.
• To fill any other gaps in the provision of university education not adequately met by other institutions.
Schools and Programmes
ZAOU offers its programmes and courses through various Schools as follows:
Undergraduate Degree Programmes (4 years)
School of Business Studies
• Bachelor of Business Administration
• Bachelor of Business in Accounting
• Bachelor of Business in Banking and Finance
• Bachelor of Business in Human Resource Management
• Bachelor of Science in Financial Mathematics
School of Education
• Bachelor of Theatre Arts
• Bachelor of Education (Adult Education)
• Bachelor of Education (Primary Education)
• Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education)
• Bachelor of Education (Guidance and Counselling)
• Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
• Bachelor of Education (Special Education)
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
• Bachelor of Arts (Development Studies)
• Bachelor of Arts (Public Administration)
• Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Arts)
School of Law
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
Diploma and Certificate Programmes
School of Education
• Diploma in Early Childhood Education (2 years)
• Diploma in Civic Education (2 years )
• Diploma in Theatre Arts (2 years )
• Certificate in Theatre Arts (1 year)
Graduate Studies Programmes
• Master of Arts (Development Studies)
• Master of Arts (History)
• Master of Education (Literacy and Development)
• Master of Arts (Religious Studies)
• Master of Business Administration (General)
• Master of Business Administration (Finance)
• Master of Business Administration (Marketing)
• Master of Business Administration (Project Management)
• Master of Business Administration (Human Resource Management)
• Master of Arts (Criminal Justice)
• Master of Arts (Sociology)
• Master of Science (Agricultural Sciences)
• PhD History
• PhD Literacy and Development
• PhD Sociology
• PhD Open and Distance Learning
Benefits of studying or associating with ZAOU
There are many benefits accruing from ZAOU’s international status, mode of course delivery, facilities and services it offers particularly the following:
• Membership of internationally recognised and highly respected professional bodies/organisations/associations, which gives ZAOU international status.
• Award of the First Prize at the 2012 Zambia International Trade
Fair in the ‘Training Service Provider’ category and Second Prize in the ‘Best Educational Institutional Exhibition’ category at the 2012 Lusaka Agricultural and Commercial Show. This shows that ZAOU is a leading higher education provider in the country.
• Open and distance learning methodologies, which enable students to study any time and from anywhere.
• Students have opportunities to combine their studies with their social and occupational responsibilities.
• A rare and admirable mix of highly qualified and very experienced academic staff of international standing in all its areas of academic activities.
• Course materials (Modules) that are professionally written, very rich in content and are in high demand among students of other universities.
• Tuition fees are comparatively low (probably the lowest among public and private universities)
• Flexible fees payment method
• Students pay tuition fees at their nearest Zambia National Commercial (ZANACO) Bank branch.
• A network of regional centres enables students to register for courses and receive course materials at their provincial centres without having to travel to Lusaka.
• Decentralised learner support services through regional centres.
• A wide range of programmes of study that respond to the diverse professional and personal needs of students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
• Unlimited access to library resources
• Bureau of Affiliations and Partnerships (responsible for International relations and Affiliation of Colleges)
• Directorate of Quality Assurance and Extension Services (responsible for Quality Review and Improvement, Short Courses, Conferences and Student/Learner Support Services)
• Directorate of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) (responsible for Student Record Management System, SRMS, and ICT Services
Membership of International, Regional and National Organisations/Associations
• Member of the International Association of University Presidents (IAUP)
• Member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
• Member of the Association of African Universities (AAU)
• Member of the African Council for Distance Education (ACDE).
• Member of the Distance Education Association of Southern Africa (DEASA)
• Member of the Private Universities Association of Zambia (PUAZ)
Inter- Institutional Collaboration
• In 2005 ZAOU established a special relationship with ten universities that led to the development of a curriculum and signing of an agreement for degree programmes with focus on globalization, literacy, and civic education. This became the first Master of Education (M. Ed) programme at ZAOU.
• In 2006 ZAOU established a relationship with the University of Newcastle in Australia in the provision of Early Childhood Education.
• In November, 2004 ZAOU signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the University of Zambia (UNZA) that established partnerships initially for four years and renewable for another four years. The MOU allowed ZAOU to utilize UNZA curricula and participation of UNZA staff in lecturing, marking and supervision of ZAOU students.
• On June 4, 2012 the Open University Malaysia (OUM) and ZAOU signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in which OUM has committed itself to providing learning materials to enable ZAOU deliver selected MBA programmes of that University.
During the last four years ZAOU has had a number of colleges affiliated to it, namely:
• Northern College in Kasama,
• Southern Africa Development Teachers College (SADTCO) in Lusaka
• Justo Mwale Theological College in Lusaka
• Paglory College in Kabwe
• University of Africa (Zambia).
Information and Communication Technology Facilities
• University Website – www.zaou.ac.zm
• Gill Library ( 210,000 books and 65, 000 journals)
• Moodle Platform for teaching and learning purposes
• Student online registration system(being developed)
•The Gill library and eLearning platforms can be accessed through the University Website
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMMES:
• Five (5) ‘0’ level passes or five credits at School Certificate level including English or a Zambian language
• Three (3) ‘0’ level passes or five credits at School Certificate level with a Diploma from a tertiary institution recognized by the University
• Concessionary admission to applicants of 45 years and above with proven evidence of participation in continuous learning through short courses, seminars and conference
• Applicants for the Bachelor of Theatre Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts must have five “O” level passes or five credits at School Certificate level chosen from the following subjects: English Language or literature, a Zambian language, Art, Music, French, History, Religious knowledge, Geography, Mathematics, Geometrical and Technical drawing
• Successful applicants will be invited for interviews which will include submission of portfolio or samples of art works already done, an aptitude test, painting and drawing
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
• A full Grade 12 Certificate with at least three( 3) ‘O’ levels
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATE PROGRAMMES
• A full Grade 12 Certificate
METHOD OF APPLICATION
(a) All intending applicants should deposit a non-refundable fee of KR150 (one hundred and fifty kwacha only) into the Zambian Open University Account Number 0780210000006858 Zambia National Commercial Bank, Manda Hill Branch.
(b) Produce an authentic deposit slip to obtain an Application Form and a Prospectus from Zambian Open University (ZAOU) Main Campus, Unity Road, Off Mumbwa Road, Lusaka West (Tel:0211 214 479) AND
from any of the following Zambian Open University Centres:
• Livingstone: The Regional Manager, Mr. S. Kanyanta, Warner House Akapelwa Street. Cell 097 7 0979 488 074 Tel: 03 323 022
• Kitwe: The Regional Manager, Mr. M Chewe, 10 William Street, Nkana West, 0966 438 943 / 02 224 628
• Kasama: The Regional Manager, Mr. A.B Mulenga, Room 19, Compensation House, Cell: 0977 615 235
• Kabwe: The Regional Manager, Mr. M Mutale. Starcy Building Cell 0977 862 354
• Mansa: The Regional Manager, Rev. Dr B. Chuba. 80 Mukwa Road, Low Density. Cell 0977 536199
• Chipata: The Regional Manager, Mr. A. Simwanza, Plot No. 875 Hospital Road, Kalongwezi Cell: 0973 241 120
• Mongu: The Regional Manager Mr. A. Kimbinyi, NAPSA Building, Room 434 Cell: 0976 496824
• Solwezi: The Co-ordinator, Ms. F Mubita-Solwezi Teachers College. Cell:0977 419 927
• Mumbwa: The Coordinator Mr. H. Mkandawire, Muyaba Building (Opposite Filling Station) Cell: 0976 333306
• Lusaka: The Regional Manager, Mr. V.M. Mwanza 94, Kutwa Road, Villa Elizabetha, Tel: 0211 225 778.
Victoria Falls University of Technology
Nakatindi Road Campus
P.O Box 60247
Telephone : +260- 21-3323338
Mobile No. : +260-0977 687079
+260- 977 684673
Registered under the Zambian Ministry of Education Act of 1999, Victoria Falls University of Technology (VFU), the country’s first private science university was opened in livingstone, Zambia in January 2010
The university was founded to fill the growing need for science and technology skills in the country and to help strengthen the national economy. The development’s of VFU coincides with the government’s focus on science , technology and innovation as the driving forces in national development.
Victoria Falls University has three campuses which include, the Nakatindi road campus, the Kazungula Campus and the Livingstone Campus
The main campus is the Nakatindi Road Campus which is three kilometers from the center of Livingstone City and was formally part of the Coillard Primary School built in the early nineteen fifties and was named after a famous Scottish explorer who visited this part of Africa in the nineteenth century, Part of the school still exists but was renamed Mulwani Basic School after independence. The trade School was renamed Livingstone Institute of Business and Engineering until 1995 when the said institute moved to a site adjacent to its old campus. The campus was then rented by the Victoria Falls University of Technology and was renamed the Nakatindi Road Campus.
To be one of the top Universities of Science and Technology devoted to the advancement of technological entrepreneurship in Africa.
To prepare men and women into leadership roles and motivate them into wealth creation enabled by Science and Technology.
It is strategically located at the gateway to neighbouring countries of Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and the Southern Africa economic hub, South Africa.VFU is in Livingstone the home of Victoria Falls and tourist capital of Zambia.
The University offers programmes in the following schools:
1. School of Information Communication and Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Management
2. School of Education
- Bachelors of Arts in Education with specialization in: English, French, Special Education, Religious Education, History, or Geography
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with Education
3. School of Tourism, Languages and Arts
- Bachelors of Science in Tourism Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management
4. School of Business and Financial Management
- Executive Masters in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Resources Management
- Bachelor of Science in Banking and Finance
- Bachelor of Science in Project Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Accounting
- Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration
- ZICA Licentiate and Professional Programmes
5. School of Law
- Bachelor of Arts in Law
Schools to be started shortly are:
• Science and Engineering
• Agriculture and food Technologies
• Energy and Environment
Method of application:
• Application forms can be obtainable from the University College Campus in Livingstone or from the University website.
• Application forms must be accompanied by photo copies of relevant certificates.
Boarding facilities are available at the campus on first come first serve basis.