“The best avenue for jobs and wealth creation”
“You are your greatest asset. Put your time, effort and money into getting a life skill, grooming, and encouraging your greatest asset.
Lusaka Youth Resource Centre (Formerly Kalingalinga Youth Resource Centre) is situated in Lusaka, Mass Media area behind Football House Opposite Energy Regulation Board (ERB) House. The Centre was initiated 2001 with the assistance of European Union under the ZECAB (Zambia Education Capacity Building) programme.
It is a youth training institution providing training based on sustainable social economic entrepreneurship, with the capacity to efficiently harness local resources for national development. Our training provides the much needed guidance, a prerequisite in preparing the youth to settle effectively as entrepreneurs.
The LYRC provides a viable social-economic environment by developing human capacities in cultural, social, spiritual and organizational for empowerment to individuals to become active members of society.
The Centre is a Government institution under the Ministry of Youth and Sport. The Centre operates as a multi-purpose Youth Development Centre, Courses being offered included Computer courses /ICT , carpentry and Joinery, Food Production, Metal Fabrication, Designing , cutting and Tailoring ,General Hospitality, Power electrical ; these courses are integrated with Entrepreneurship, Peak Performance Program, Family Life Education and Environmental Education.
The Centre staff is as follows:
Lusaka Youth Resource Centre is Government institution governed by government policy Management advisory committee from the community
The Centre management consist of the Manager and Trade instructors.
The Centre is accredited to Technical Education and Vocational Entrepreneurship Authority (TEVETA) and Examination Council of Zambia (ECZ) who regulates the training and conduct Examination at Trade Test level 1 to III.
Networking-The Centre encourages individual, NGOs and other Governmental agencies to partner with it and help more youth.
To be model Centre in the provision of Youth Empowerment services and produce developed self-reliant Youth in the nation.
To develop and deliver high quality youth skills training programs which meet individual and national – economic development of Zambia.
The objectives of the training programs were to:
Improve livelihood for vulnerable youth
Improve skills and influence positive attitude
Increase access of youth to livelihood opportunities
Increased integration of youth to livelihood and Prevention of HIV/AIDS.
Courses at LYRC
- Menu Planning• Food costing• Hygiene• Safety and First Aid• Food Commodities• Food Production practical• Food production theory• Nutrition• Food and beverage operations• Food and Beverage Service Procedure
- House Keeping and Laundry• Housing Keeping and Laundry• Front Office operations• Communication skills• Food Nutrition, Commodities• Hotel law/Menu planning• Restaurant Organisation• Hygiene, Safety and First Aids• Theory of cookery• Food Costing• Food and Beverage Service Procedure• Food and beverage operations• Food production practical• Food Production theory
- Safety• House wiring single Phase• House wiring 3 phases• Industrial wiring 3 phase• Electrical fencing
Information Communication’s Technology
- Principles of IT• Data Communication and Networking• Microsoft Window• Microsoft Word• Microsoft Power Point• Microsoft Excel• Microsoft Publisher• Computer Mathematics• Internet and Web Development• Database Design and Management
Designing, Cutting and Tailoring
- Principles of Accounts• Safety in the workshop• Tailoring tools and equipment• Basic skirt• Paneled skirt• Infant dress• Frock dress• Simple blouse• Straight dress• Casual shirts• Standard tunic shirt• Half elastic short pant• Top pleat trousers• Ware house coat• Chitenge suit
Carpentry and Joinery
- Safety in the workshop• Carpentry looks and equipment• Hand tools
- Arc welding• Gas welding• Machine tools• Joining Metals• Ferrous Metals
The Centre offers affordable;
- Conference room facilities• Catering services• Peer education programs• Job on training• Micro Finance to Graduates• Sport and Entertainment• Skilled labour
The Centre has trained many students in ;
- Tailoring & Designing,• Carpentry and Joinery,• Metal Fabrication,• Computer Information Food production,• Entrepreneurship,• Power Electrical and• General Hospitality
The Centre has settled many of the graduates with equipment’s and materials as startup kit. The center has two intakes ‘January to June and July to December intakes respectively
School levers, out of school youths and those that have never been to school are encouraged to apply
Those in employment can also apply for part time courses which start from 16:00 hrs. to 19:00hrs
All payments are done at acceptance of a particular application. The Centre only allows 50% upfront payment at enrolment and the rest to be paid in 3 installments. Check with Centre Accountant / Enquiries.
Click to Download Application-form-LYRC
- Lusaka youth resource centre
- +26 0954 277 317
- PO.BOX KL 52 MASS MEDIA AREA BEHIND FOOTBALL HOUSE Opposite Energy Regulations Board (ERB) Ho, Lusaka, Lusaka, 10101, Zambia