New Foundland Campus
Farm Plot No.7096 Unity Road
Off Mumbwa road, Lusaka West.
Tel: +260 211 214 479
Fax: +260 211 845 469
+260 976 123 055
+260 955 796 867
+260 969 672 965
“University without Walls”
The Zambian Open University (ZAOU) is a private Open and Distance Learning (ODL) University, which was established in 2002 having been registered in November of that year under the Companies Act No. 26 of 1994 of the Laws of Zambia. ZAOU was registered with the then Ministry of Education (MOE) on 23rd December 2004, within the provisions of the University Act No. 11 of 1999 of the Laws of Zambia.
ZAOU’s first 369 students were enrolled in January, 2005, in the School of Education and the School of Social Sciences and Law. On 25th March, 2005 the University was formally launched by the late Republican President Mr Levy Patrick Mwanawasa.
The founding members of ZAOU recognised the limited number of places at the country’s only two public universities at that time and were committed to increasing access to university education through open and distance learning. They were also encouraged by the government policy that had just been put in place allowing the establishment of private universities.
To be an internationally recognised Open University providing quality education through distance learning.
Leading higher education provider using creative and innovative learning methodologies aimed at reaching diverse constituencies for promoting social and economic development
• To provide teacher education at University level to school leavers, primary, and secondary school teachers through distance learning using print and electronic media.
• To meet the increased demand for professional education in the fields of law and development studies.
• To fill any other gaps in the provision of university education not adequately met by other institutions.
Schools and Programmes
ZAOU offers its programmes and courses through various Schools as follows:
Undergraduate Degree Programmes (4 years)
School of Business Studies
• Bachelor of Business Administration
• Bachelor of Business in Accounting
• Bachelor of Business in Banking and Finance
• Bachelor of Business in Human Resource Management
• Bachelor of Science in Financial Mathematics
School of Education
• Bachelor of Theatre Arts
• Bachelor of Education (Adult Education)
• Bachelor of Education (Primary Education)
• Bachelor of Education (Secondary Education)
• Bachelor of Education (Guidance and Counselling)
• Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
• Bachelor of Education (Special Education)
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
• Bachelor of Arts (Development Studies)
• Bachelor of Arts (Public Administration)
• Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Arts)
School of Law
• Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
Diploma and Certificate Programmes
School of Education
• Diploma in Early Childhood Education (2 years)
• Diploma in Civic Education (2 years )
• Diploma in Theatre Arts (2 years )
• Certificate in Theatre Arts (1 year)
Graduate Studies Programmes
• Master of Arts (Development Studies)
• Master of Arts (History)
• Master of Education (Literacy and Development)
• Master of Arts (Religious Studies)
• Master of Business Administration (General)
• Master of Business Administration (Finance)
• Master of Business Administration (Marketing)
• Master of Business Administration (Project Management)
• Master of Business Administration (Human Resource Management)
• Master of Arts (Criminal Justice)
• Master of Arts (Sociology)
• Master of Science (Agricultural Sciences)
• PhD History
• PhD Literacy and Development
• PhD Sociology
• PhD Open and Distance Learning
Benefits of studying or associating with ZAOU
There are many benefits accruing from ZAOU’s international status, mode of course delivery, facilities and services it offers particularly the following:
• Membership of internationally recognised and highly respected professional bodies/organisations/associations, which gives ZAOU international status.
• Award of the First Prize at the 2012 Zambia International Trade
Fair in the ‘Training Service Provider’ category and Second Prize in the ‘Best Educational Institutional Exhibition’ category at the 2012 Lusaka Agricultural and Commercial Show. This shows that ZAOU is a leading higher education provider in the country.
• Open and distance learning methodologies, which enable students to study any time and from anywhere.
• Students have opportunities to combine their studies with their social and occupational responsibilities.
• A rare and admirable mix of highly qualified and very experienced academic staff of international standing in all its areas of academic activities.
• Course materials (Modules) that are professionally written, very rich in content and are in high demand among students of other universities.
• Tuition fees are comparatively low (probably the lowest among public and private universities)
• Flexible fees payment method
• Students pay tuition fees at their nearest Zambia National Commercial (ZANACO) Bank branch.
• A network of regional centres enables students to register for courses and receive course materials at their provincial centres without having to travel to Lusaka.
• Decentralised learner support services through regional centres.
• A wide range of programmes of study that respond to the diverse professional and personal needs of students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
• Unlimited access to library resources
• Bureau of Affiliations and Partnerships (responsible for International relations and Affiliation of Colleges)
• Directorate of Quality Assurance and Extension Services (responsible for Quality Review and Improvement, Short Courses, Conferences and Student/Learner Support Services)
• Directorate of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) (responsible for Student Record Management System, SRMS, and ICT Services
Membership of International, Regional and National Organisations/Associations
• Member of the International Association of University Presidents (IAUP)
• Member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU)
• Member of the Association of African Universities (AAU)
• Member of the African Council for Distance Education (ACDE).
• Member of the Distance Education Association of Southern Africa (DEASA)
• Member of the Private Universities Association of Zambia (PUAZ)
Inter- Institutional Collaboration
• In 2005 ZAOU established a special relationship with ten universities that led to the development of a curriculum and signing of an agreement for degree programmes with focus on globalization, literacy, and civic education. This became the first Master of Education (M. Ed) programme at ZAOU.
• In 2006 ZAOU established a relationship with the University of Newcastle in Australia in the provision of Early Childhood Education.
• In November, 2004 ZAOU signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the University of Zambia (UNZA) that established partnerships initially for four years and renewable for another four years. The MOU allowed ZAOU to utilize UNZA curricula and participation of UNZA staff in lecturing, marking and supervision of ZAOU students.
• On June 4, 2012 the Open University Malaysia (OUM) and ZAOU signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in which OUM has committed itself to providing learning materials to enable ZAOU deliver selected MBA programmes of that University.
During the last four years ZAOU has had a number of colleges affiliated to it, namely:
• Northern College in Kasama,
• Southern Africa Development Teachers College (SADTCO) in Lusaka
• Justo Mwale Theological College in Lusaka
• Paglory College in Kabwe
• University of Africa (Zambia).
Information and Communication Technology Facilities
• University Website – www.zaou.ac.zm
• Gill Library ( 210,000 books and 65, 000 journals)
• Moodle Platform for teaching and learning purposes
• Student online registration system(being developed)
•The Gill library and eLearning platforms can be accessed through the University Website
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMMES:
• Five (5) ‘0’ level passes or five credits at School Certificate level including English or a Zambian language
• Three (3) ‘0’ level passes or five credits at School Certificate level with a Diploma from a tertiary institution recognized by the University
• Concessionary admission to applicants of 45 years and above with proven evidence of participation in continuous learning through short courses, seminars and conference
• Applicants for the Bachelor of Theatre Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts must have five “O” level passes or five credits at School Certificate level chosen from the following subjects: English Language or literature, a Zambian language, Art, Music, French, History, Religious knowledge, Geography, Mathematics, Geometrical and Technical drawing
• Successful applicants will be invited for interviews which will include submission of portfolio or samples of art works already done, an aptitude test, painting and drawing
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
• A full Grade 12 Certificate with at least three( 3) ‘O’ levels
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATE PROGRAMMES
• A full Grade 12 Certificate
METHOD OF APPLICATION
(a) All intending applicants should deposit a non-refundable fee of KR150 (one hundred and fifty kwacha only) into the Zambian Open University Account Number 0780210000006858 Zambia National Commercial Bank, Manda Hill Branch.
(b) Produce an authentic deposit slip to obtain an Application Form and a Prospectus from Zambian Open University (ZAOU) Main Campus, Unity Road, Off Mumbwa Road, Lusaka West (Tel:0211 214 479) AND
from any of the following Zambian Open University Centres:
• Livingstone: The Regional Manager, Mr. S. Kanyanta, Warner House Akapelwa Street. Cell 097 7 0979 488 074 Tel: 03 323 022
• Kitwe: The Regional Manager, Mr. M Chewe, 10 William Street, Nkana West, 0966 438 943 / 02 224 628
• Kasama: The Regional Manager, Mr. A.B Mulenga, Room 19, Compensation House, Cell: 0977 615 235
• Kabwe: The Regional Manager, Mr. M Mutale. Starcy Building Cell 0977 862 354
• Mansa: The Regional Manager, Rev. Dr B. Chuba. 80 Mukwa Road, Low Density. Cell 0977 536199
• Chipata: The Regional Manager, Mr. A. Simwanza, Plot No. 875 Hospital Road, Kalongwezi Cell: 0973 241 120
• Mongu: The Regional Manager Mr. A. Kimbinyi, NAPSA Building, Room 434 Cell: 0976 496824
• Solwezi: The Co-ordinator, Ms. F Mubita-Solwezi Teachers College. Cell:0977 419 927
• Mumbwa: The Coordinator Mr. H. Mkandawire, Muyaba Building (Opposite Filling Station) Cell: 0976 333306
• Lusaka: The Regional Manager, Mr. V.M. Mwanza 94, Kutwa Road, Villa Elizabetha, Tel: 0211 225 778.